Dealing with damp and mould from condensation.

General advice on dealing with damp, condensation and mould.

In the more urban areas of Brighton, where buildings are mainly Victorian or earlier, you rarely find a Damp Proof Course. Post 1900, they became the norm, but if you are living in older property, you need to be proactive in dealing with condensation. 

Many of these old houses now have uPVC windows and, unfortunately, they may not be fitted with 'trickle vents' which allow air flow. To deal with this, you need to create airflow and hence ventialtion.

Air flow is very important, at night and during the day. Keep some windows slightly open at all times, preferably at opposite ends of the property.

Keep heating on at a low level and make sure air can flow around and behind furniture.

Regularly check clothes kept in wardrobes and cupboards are not getting mouldy and, if necessary, leave wardrobe doors attached to outside walls slightly open for air circulation.

The amount of water that gets into the air from cooking, showering and breathing creates condensation so needs positive action.

Drying washing inside your property creates a lot of humidity. Don't dry clothes on radiators. Try to dry clothes outside if you can. If you have to dry inside, use an airer.

Cooking. Put a lid on boiling water. If you have one, leave the extractor fan on for some time after cooking.

Shower and bathroom. Always leave a window a little open, more so after bathing. Wipe down tiling, mirrors and even walls after bathing or showering to lessen condensation. Leave the extractor on for at least 10 minutes after leaving the room if you have one. Have heating on in bathroom if possible to lessen condensation.

If one wall in the property is particularly bad, see if the gutter is overflowing during rain, or the cills need painting as water may be getting into the walls.

Some other remedies

Karcher window vacuum to get moisture off windows and out of shower cubicle can help.

HG Mould Spray. You can get it from B&Q.

White vinegar kills mould.

Dettol Mould Liquid.

Paint: Paint Over Mould

Landlord and Letting agent obligations

A landlord should provide a solution quickly. If your letting agent manages your rental, they are obliged to deal with this ASAP but, if the landlord is dealing direct with you, it’s the landlord that has to organise it. An issue can be that the landlord is slow to respond when the letting agent asks for authority to deal with it. Your letting agent should be experienced enough to give you some low-cost, sensible solutions till more can be done.

Advice from Shelter: Shelter Advice

Advice from NHBC: NHBC Mould Advice

Bonett’s Letting team November 2017